In somewhat of a turnaround for a company that has been making the same car for almost half a century, Morgan aims to introduce a new model to the market every two years, and this here, the new EvaGT, is the first product to come out of the initiative.
The new model will be based on the Aero Supersport's aluminium chassis with power coming from a BMW-sourced 3.0-liter turbocharged straight-six with direct petrol injection pumping out 306-horsepower and 295 lb-ft / 400Nm of peak torque. The engine will be matted to either a 6-speed manual or automatic transmission.
The company said that the four seater Coupe takes its inspiration from the British sports saloons of the early 1950's such as the Bristol 400 series and the Frazer Nash BMW 328.
The EvaGT will have its world premiere at the 60th Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, Carmel, California, USA on the 15th of August, 2010.
Morgan EvaGT Technical Specification (subject to change):
BMW 3 litre straight six mono twin turbo with direct petrol injection 306bhp and 400nm torque
- Euro 5 and 6 compliant at 200 gms Co2/km, US FMVSS, CARB and EPA approved.
- 40 mpg / 7.06 litres/100kms
- 6 speed sport automatic or 6 speed manual gearbox.
- Rear wheel drive with fully independent intelligent suspension
- Aluminium body panels with a laminated internal safety structure.
- Predicted weight of 2755 lbs/1250 kg
- Predicted 0-60 mph 4.5 seconds/ 0-100km/h 4.5 seconds
- Predicted top speed 170mph / 273 km/h