While pics of the 2011 Forester have yet to make it out the gates (the car pictured above is a 2010MY) , here is a run-through of the new lineup for the U.S. market. Other than some minor styling updates such as the new grille design and a revised instrument panel with softer materials, the big news is Subaru's brand-spanking new boxer engine we first told you about earlier today.
The new naturally-aspirated 4-cylinder boxer unit gets different bore/stroke dimensions to increase displacement from 2,457 cc to 2,498 cc and a chain-driven cam (instead of a belt-driven one).
Output remains the same as before at 170-horsepower but at slightly lower rpm, while peak torque is up to 174 lb.-ft. at 4,100 rpm, versus the outgoing boxer unit's 170 lb.ft. at 4,400 rpm.
Subaru says fuel economy is improved with both 2011MY manual and automatic models returning 21 mpg city and 27 mpg highway vs. the 2010MY's 20/27 for manual and 20/26 for automatic.
The 2011 Forester's available trims will include the 2.5X (in base, Premium, Limited, and Touring), and the 2.5XT (in Premium and Touring), which keeps the current model's 224-horse turbo four.
The Touring trim option is new as well, making it the new high-line Forester.
For a list of pricing and standard features, scroll on down.
By Phil Alex
2.5X (starting at $20,495 for manual, $21,695 for automatic)_______________________________________________________________________
- Interior: single disc CD player (4 speakers with jack), three 12-volt outlets, carpeted floor mats, center console with sliding arm rest, fold-down rear seat
- Exterior: daytime running lights, rear window wiper / washer
- Tech: Brake Assist, Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC), engine immobilizer, remote keyless entry
- Optional alloy wheels
2.5X Premium (starting at $23,195 for manual, $24,195 for auto)
- Interior: 10-way power driver's seat, steering wheel-mounted audio controls, reclining rear seat, automatic driver's power window with Anti-Pinch Protection, tilt / telescopic steering wheel
- Exterior: privacy glass, panoramic power moonroof, roof rails, 17-inch wheels
- Tech: Bluetooth phone/audio, iPod connectivity, USB port, Sirius Satellite Radio capability
- Optional TomTom Navigation
2.5X Limited (starting at $26,495 for auto)
- Interior: leather seating surfaces, leather-wrapped steering wheel / shifter, automatic climate controls, cargo area tray
- Exterior: stainless exhaust tips, fog lights
- Tech: HD radio, 4.3-inch LCD screen, 6 speakers
- Optional rear-view camera, touchscreen GPS with 7-inch screen
2.5X Touring (starting at $27,995)
- Interior: one-touch folding rear seat backs, dual-zone automatic climate control, Sirius satellite radio, electroluminescent instrumentation
- Exterior: HID headlights, mirrors with integrated turn signals, silver finish roof rails,
2.5XT Premium (starting at $26,995 for auto)
- Interior: telescopic steering column, aluminum-alloy accelerator / brake pedal covers, a 10-way power driver's seat
- Exterior: stainless exhaust tips, fog lights, rear spoiler, unique17-inch alloy wheels, hood scoop
2.5XT Touring (starting at $29,995)
- see 2.5X Touring info