Some guy in a Vauxhall Astra VXR Nürburgring Edition went to the notorious Nordschleife to try to live up to the name on the side of his car and made a booboo. Hey, no sweat, these things happen all the time.
People get a little antsy in the pantsy, lose their concentration, and wreck their car. The real point of interest here is the potential costs involved (other than that of a damaged car and pride).
Don't forget to watch how it played out in the vids below.
By Phil Alex
Cost of an accident at the Nurburgring:
- Base fee for attendance of armco truck: €150
- Removing damaged armco: €10/metre (x2 or x3 or x4 for multiple-height sections)
- Replacement armco: €31/metre (x2 or x3 for double/triple height)
- Removing damaged armco posts: €5.10 each
- Replacing armco post: €39 each
- Safety car attendance: €82 per 30 mins (car + 2 people)
- Circuit closure: €1,350 per hour
- Recovery truck: €190 (inc VAT)
- Hospital stay & air ambulance:
Everything except the recovery truck is then subject to 19% VAT.