Honda Begins European Production of Jazz at Swindon Plant

No more "Made in Japan" Jazz models -at least for most European consumers- as the first British-built examples of the five-door hatchback have rolled off the production line at Honda's factory in Swindon. Up until now, all European market versions of the new Jazz were imported from Japan. Honda said that it aims to build around 20,000 units of the Jazz at its Swindon plant until the end of March 2010, with 75 per cent of these to be sold in the UK and the other 25 per cent planned for export to 55 countries across mainland Europe and other regions, including South Africa.

The Jazz will be built alongside the European-spec CR-V and the Civic models. The addition of Jazz brings the planned total production level for the Swindon factory in the current financial year that ends on March 31, 2010, to 100,600 units which is still well below the plant's full capacity according to Honda.

"We see this third model as a wonderful opportunity in the current climate and we're extremely proud to be building the Jazz here in Swindon," said David Hodgetts, Director at Honda of UK Manufacturing in Swindon.

"Shifting production to the UK is a real vote of confidence in all our Associates here in Swindon, and recognition of the high standards which we have been able to achieve at the plant," he added.