Looks like BMW had us all hyped up for nothing, or almost nothing. The special 'M' model promised by the Bavarian automaker is the 2011 M3 Frozen Gray Edition, of which only 30 identically-equipped examples will be made exclusively for the United States.
Other than that, the M3 gets a trio of standard packages including the Competition kit which reduces vehicle ride height by 10mm and includes special 19-inch wheels with wider offset for enhanced stability, standard Electronic Damping Control with enhanced programming, and higher-threshold programming for the M Dynamic Mode.
There are no changes under the hood, with power being sent to the rear through BMW's M Double Clutch Transmission (M DCT) which lowers the 0-60mph (96km/h) acceleration time of the M3 to 4.5 seconds, dowm from the manual versions' 4.7 seconds.
BMW said that those interested will be able to reserve a 2011 Frozen Gray M3 Coupe by dialing 1-800-245-4269 "no earlier than 11:30AM Eastern Time (8:30AM Pacific) on Monday, June 21, 2010." Pricing is set at $77,600 or $19,200 more than the standard 414HP M3 Coupe.
Equipment List: 2011 BMW Frozen Gray M3 Coupe
- BMW Individual Frozen Gray Metallic exterior paint.
- BMW Individual bi-color (Fox Red with Black) Novillo Leather interior.
- M DCT Transmission
- Competition Package
- Electronic Damping Control, 19" light-alloy wheels, lowered suspension, sport mapping for EDC and DSC.
- Premium Package
- Power folding mirrors, universal garage door opener, digital compass mirror, BMW Assist with Bluetooth, Novillo Leather, Carbon Leather trim.
- Technology Package
- M Drive system, Comfort Access system, Navigation system, Voice Command system, Real Time Traffic Information system.
- Heated Front Seats
- Rear Park Distance Control
- Enhanced Premium Sound System
- Satellite Radio with 1-year subscription
- iPod and USB Adaptor